SPIRAL is a bi-annual publication that bridges the gap between American football and culture.
Each issue pertains to a specific topic, and will link voices from a variety of communities that have been affected by the game — from art and design, to music, fashion and politics. The publication will be spiral bound, a nod to the coaches playbooks of yesteryear and will feature a variety of paper stocks, carefully curated photographs and illustrations, to beautiful typography and layouts.
To kickoff issue one, we’ve focused on the theme of ‘Tribalism.’ The United States is split amongst many tribes—all different, but similar in many ways. We aim to both celebrate and challenge these groups, by highlighting the game’s storied, yet troublesome history; the many relics and traditions shared by fans; legendary players and SUPERFANS who have rose to mythic proportions, along with conversations spanning the worlds of art, design, fashion and sport. By doing so, we aim to elevate the culture around the game and push football forward.
In this issue:
- Author Michael MacCambridge meditates on the nature of rivalries.
- Rod Hanna takes us back to the events of Super Bowl I.
- Steph Chambers documents football’s first proving grounds.
- ESPN host Ben Lyons takes us on his journey from the Eagles to the Rams.
- We chat with the NFL’s four biggest SUPERFANS to talk history and identity.
- Coach Larry Kindbom makes the case that football is art by recounting the legendary Woody Hayes and Robert Zuppke.
- Jess Colquhoun captures our favorite football relics as seen from a distant future.
- We revisit four of football’s most storied figures and reassess the lessons they left us.
- Kellen Hatanaka illustrates the very best touchdown celebrations.
- An illustrated history on football equipment, featuring The Ohio State University.
- Historian Michael Butterworth visits the dumpster fire in Washington and retells ‘how we got here.’
- Editor Shawn Ghassemitari reflects on the formation of the huddle and how it embodies the very essence of democracy.
- Artist Steven Harrington talks Madlib and murals, to palm trees and Nikes.
- Devin Troy Strother recounts the roots of his practice and his hilarious tales of high school football.
- Garrett Leight talks frames, Covid, USC and the last ten years.
- Meet the women spearheading real change to America’s Game.
- As the only openly bi-sexual player in the NFL, Ryan Russell shares his story.
16.5 x 24 cm